A Story

Everybody has a story.
Not everyone will be interested in that story, but that doesn't mean it isn't interesting. Writing has always been therapeutic for me, (along with a nightly hot bath!). The paper and pen cannot refuse my words, they can't reject the thoughts I impose on them. Nor will they judge for content, or grade for accuracy. It is safe. There are so many times when it is necessary to be safe while being "real", and recording the "real" on paper validates the experiences. We were created to be relational beings, who desire to be known, and valued, and thereby, validated. So, I extend the invitation to "Life Lines", with the sincerest hope you'll share a sense of camaraderie, be entertained,and best of all, be inspired because...everybody has a story! <3

Monday, December 21, 2009

December 21


Happy Birthday Andy! 27 years of "Andrew-ness" has been fantastic!
Nothing does a mother's heart good like sons who honor her with admirable character, a strong sense of responsibility, and the desirable qualities of a "real man", especially in a culture where all the lines have become blurred and political correctness intimidates, keeping the weak from saying it like it is, succumbing to the bullying of the "offended". Spine up! Frankly, I want to have men in my life who aren't concerned they'll appear "whipped" when they care what their wife thinks more than what their friends think. I want to say "thank you" to a man who holds the door allowing me to go ahead, or even any one else willing to conduct themselves with manners considered to be "old fashioned". I wish to be in a world where men don't need to be coddled when they've been self sacrificing for the good of their families, instead considering it what should reasonably be expected of them because their families happiness and well being is what they consider their most important contribution of themselves to the most important recipients, and it is their most rewarding investment. Bravely defend my and my children's honor. Courageously stand against anyone who intends harm. Boldly speak what is correct based on irrefutable truth. Admit remorsefully when wrong. Reject injustice inflicted on the helpless and assist however possible. See life through eyes of compassion, and be willingly productive and useful, even if it means doing it alone in order to make a positive difference for others. Don't be be a "taker" sucking the life out of everyone else, be a life giver, a life enhancer, someone who draws others into their refreshing, oxygen filled "aura". Don't speak of intentions, demonstrate goodness. Smile. Laugh. Listen.
It's Andy's birthday, he is one of those men, and while I relish the uniqueness of his effervescent personality, I would be remiss to neglect that I am the joy full mom of 5 more sons. I've done my part, offering to the world that those sons will influence, my most valuable treasure, one that has only been lent to me for a short time by the God who knew them and formed them in my womb, men, the kind that earn the right to be called "real men".
The family gathered to celebrate Andy, we gave him some cards and presents, sang the birthday song and blew out candles, but the truth is, Andy is the real gift!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for being such a wondeful Mother and keep this wonderful writing coming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's easy to be a "wonderful" mom when you're the wonderful son! <3

    ReplyDelete

January in Virginia

January in Virginia