A Story

Everybody has a story.
Not everyone will be interested in that story, but that doesn't mean it isn't interesting. Writing has always been therapeutic for me, (along with a nightly hot bath!). The paper and pen cannot refuse my words, they can't reject the thoughts I impose on them. Nor will they judge for content, or grade for accuracy. It is safe. There are so many times when it is necessary to be safe while being "real", and recording the "real" on paper validates the experiences. We were created to be relational beings, who desire to be known, and valued, and thereby, validated. So, I extend the invitation to "Life Lines", with the sincerest hope you'll share a sense of camaraderie, be entertained,and best of all, be inspired because...everybody has a story! <3

Sunday, October 17, 2010

OMGoodness those shoes!






Sometimes, a force far more powerful than myself can stave off, especially considering my weakened vulnerable position, is to blame for my completely irresponsible behavior, this past week a good example.
I went shopping.
Several times.
Enough said right there! One can predict how the story unfolds! Or can one?
Seriously, who do I think I am, Imelda Marcos???!!!
Accountable for what I've done, and according to my count, I'm at 1 pair of shorts, 3 hair clips, 3 dresses, 3 tops, and 3 pairs of shoes! If I were a betting woman I'd have advised myself to find a trifecta to wager on for a certain cash fall!
In my defense I think it's important to clarify that I shopped the outlet stores. So all of my purchases were very reasonable, even cheap. Well, all but 1 pair of shoes that took literally 3 (there's that 3 again!) trips to the store to convince myself to make the purchase, and then only then, because only because, I found a dress at another store that along with said shoes would be the perfect ensemble for my sons upcoming wedding!
Need justified.
This was by far a unique out of the ordinary purchase. These shoes are sweet confections like foot frosting meant to be visually savored, or a bouquet of foot flowers, little presents wrapped with a bow to tickle the toes.
And they're red!
With pink bottoms!
Can you hear the choir singing?!
Even I have a breaking point, a point at which the temptation can no longer be resisted. I did my level best, resisting not once but twice. A second trip to the store with the tempting shoes was for my daughter to see a dress I thought she might like for her brother's wedding, she'll be a bridesmaid. She saw the shoes, I saw the twinkle in her eye! She said please buy them, I said I couldn't. The dress didn't work so we went to another store, there she did find a dress, and there too did I! A nice red dress for the Christmas themed wedding.
When we got back home we each tried on our new dresses for the other to see, and that's when it hit me like the proverbial ton of bricks! I was thoroughly overtaken, all resistance gone, excitement rose to uncontrollable heights as adrenaline pumped through my veins pushing a rush of what could only be described as the chocolate equivalent of ecstasy to my brain. It was as good as done, no turning back, the one and only pair of those shoes in my size, oh please don't be gone, would be mine! Perfect with the red dress for my sons Christmas themed wedding, perfect!
I was able to reason with myself that I got the dress for such a great price I could spend more for the shoes and still come out spending what I'd spent on a dress and shoes for my other sons wedding this past August, even steven. Yes it was OK, I gave myself permission.
In August I bought the most expensive dress I'd ever purchased in my whole life, just under $100.00. Now in October the most expensive shoes I've ever purchased in my whole life at $80.00! I know a lot of people would find that incredible, but I could have under my normal frugal limitations purchased 3 or 4, or even 10 or 12 pairs of shoes for that same $80.00, but these beauties are special, the occasion they will accompany my feet to is special. I will just have to sacrifice somewhere else to make it up to me!
I drove back to the store acutely conscious of the unnecessarily low speed limits, parked the car, walked briskly through the door directly to the shelf where after a couple previous visits I knew the shoes were displayed, picked up the one and only size 6 and 1/2, made sure all was in order, tucked them gingerly into their bright pink box, and practically skipped to the register! I had to force myself not to grin from ear to ear out of concern for my fellow shoppers knowing there was no way they were about to make a more gleeful purchase than mine would be, and I pitied them! I was the picture of cool, calm, collectedness, but inside I was leaping like frogs, jumping for joy, positively giddy over the secret treasure in the soon to be mine pink box!
The cashier admired my choice, she showed the girl working the register next to her with a "look at these" exclamation. We all nodded and smiled in understanding approval.
When I got home again, I tried the shoes on with the dress. They say money can't buy happiness, well I'm here to say that money can buy shoes and shoes can make me happy! Albeit fleeting, for I am quite aware that the appeal of even these dainty darlings for the "dogs" will one day lose their ability to steal my material affections like they do on this day. But this day they have thrilled me and I am confident in their ability to thrill on numerous future occasions, the first of which will be the wedding of son #6.
My daughter will wear them, she and I share shoes, she shares mine, I let her.
When I prepare for my sons wedding, stepping toward yet another bittersweet milestone, my feet will be consoled, hugged and cheered by these shoes that make my heart skip a beat, while they make my feet carry me through another family transition. They are worth that.
For all the days between now and then I'll have my $3.00 green shoes that mimic the same little lattice pattern as the one on the Palm Beachy green sweater I just got, and the $2.49 clear jellies with silver trim that I'll wear with the gray and white plaid shirt I already had, representative of my usual shoe shopping habits.
The deep end is a rare plunge for me. I jumped in, splashed around a bit, and I liked it! It was nice, better than nice, I got great shoes, squared away the wedding outfit 5 weeks ahead of the date, we'll double their use my daughter and I, and thinking about it, I stimulated the economy!
It's a good thing I've done.
You're welcome!
P.J.

1 comment:

  1. Oh heck, I stimulate the economy literally every day, LOL! Kidding but it feels like it. I buy so many supplies for my art, it is crazy.
    Good for you, you deserve a shopping trip every now and then.

    ReplyDelete

January in Virginia

January in Virginia