A Story

Everybody has a story.
Not everyone will be interested in that story, but that doesn't mean it isn't interesting. Writing has always been therapeutic for me, (along with a nightly hot bath!). The paper and pen cannot refuse my words, they can't reject the thoughts I impose on them. Nor will they judge for content, or grade for accuracy. It is safe. There are so many times when it is necessary to be safe while being "real", and recording the "real" on paper validates the experiences. We were created to be relational beings, who desire to be known, and valued, and thereby, validated. So, I extend the invitation to "Life Lines", with the sincerest hope you'll share a sense of camaraderie, be entertained,and best of all, be inspired because...everybody has a story! <3

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Big Black Bug

Little did I know what lurked amongst the stacks of racks that hold our hundreds of glass votive candle holders.
There I was just going about my usual business, checking off the needed items listed on pull sheets in preparation for another party at work. This one was for 140 shot glasses, we have clear shots, roly poly’s, ambers, reds, green mosaic, crackle, etched, squares, mirrored squares, frosted squares, 3, 6,and 9 inch cylinders, bubbles, beaded, and mercury glass shots. There are more, but these we have in large quantities so they are stored in bus tubs or racks that are stacked on shelves or rolling bases. The shots I needed are kept in racks on bases that make towers of glassware stored in a corner out of the line of foot and cart traffic.
I got what I needed to fill my count and as I pulled my arm out from between the rack towers I felt something on my arm…and screamed!
Many sounds are heard on a daily basis in the design studio, running water, the flower cutter, tools laid down hastily on a stainless steel work table, the clanking water pipes of old plumbing, and the constant annoyingly loud motor that runs the air conditioner for the hotel presidents office. Breaking glass is usually the only thing that makes everyone stop, look, and with concern ask “are you okay?”. Broken glass is not an uncommon sound, a scream is a bit unnerving, especially considering that broken glass is not uncommon!
Well, whilst I flailed my arm flinging the critter off of it I looked up at the questioning co-workers to see all their startled faces looking back at me, and then looked down having seen peripherally what I perceived to be the flung multi legged creature.
In 3 seconds time I went from a scream, nothing hysterical, just a short high pitched chirp, maybe a yelp, to laughing, as the bewildered onlookers awaited an explanation which was quite simply, a big wad of black tape, originally adhered to the side of a rack, preferring instead to stick to my arm as I brushed against it.
We have big bugs in Florida. They’re scary. I am unable to co-exist with them. If they are anywhere near me or what I consider to be my space they will be hunted down, no effort will be withheld to effect their annihilation, simple as that!
If by chance, the big black bug is merely a big black wad of tape, apparently the emergency self preservation procedure will be initiated until or unless the mistaken identity is proven!
Oy vey!

No comments:

Post a Comment

January in Virginia

January in Virginia