A Story

Everybody has a story.
Not everyone will be interested in that story, but that doesn't mean it isn't interesting. Writing has always been therapeutic for me, (along with a nightly hot bath!). The paper and pen cannot refuse my words, they can't reject the thoughts I impose on them. Nor will they judge for content, or grade for accuracy. It is safe. There are so many times when it is necessary to be safe while being "real", and recording the "real" on paper validates the experiences. We were created to be relational beings, who desire to be known, and valued, and thereby, validated. So, I extend the invitation to "Life Lines", with the sincerest hope you'll share a sense of camaraderie, be entertained,and best of all, be inspired because...everybody has a story! <3

Sunday, October 4, 2009

Goodwill Roses











Years ago when I was a young Mom, my Mother in law got me hooked on thrift store shopping. On Mondays at the local Am-vets everything in the store was 1/2 price. Guess who was there every Monday! I clothed my family and furnished our home with an eclectic mix of thrift store finds, homemade delights, and trash to treasure works of art. Well, at least that's how I saw it, I was born to be a homemaking Mom! Over the years as pennies needed to be pinched, I gave up even the thrift stores. Shopping became self inflicted torture as I denied myself the little beauties I wished I could take home with me. Occasionally however, the need wells up inside of me to "hunt", I must search out until I find , a treasure! So when I spotted the sofa size picture of pale roses in a lustrous silver tureen, complete with a gilded vintage frame, I reasonably decided against the purchase. It was frivolous and unnecessary, and where would I put it anyway. I lost a good nights sleep over that decision, but, I gained a poem, and when the store opened their door the next morning I was there to buy that picture!

Goodwill Roses

My beautiful crystal clock ticks
undetectably by day,
as I almost absent mindedly
rush on about my way.
Passing time without much
thought to what may lie ahead,
fulfilling daily tasks, the day
is spent, I go to bed.
In the dark my mind is on
a silver dish of roses,
that I will have to purchase
in the morning I supposes!
The once silent little timepiece,
now clearly states it's mission,
keeping me at 3:00 am
for lovely roses wishin'.
Frivolous the thought that
occupies this early hour,
when I should be asleep
I am enchanted with a flower!
P.J.

No comments:

Post a Comment

January in Virginia

January in Virginia