A Story

Everybody has a story.
Not everyone will be interested in that story, but that doesn't mean it isn't interesting. Writing has always been therapeutic for me, (along with a nightly hot bath!). The paper and pen cannot refuse my words, they can't reject the thoughts I impose on them. Nor will they judge for content, or grade for accuracy. It is safe. There are so many times when it is necessary to be safe while being "real", and recording the "real" on paper validates the experiences. We were created to be relational beings, who desire to be known, and valued, and thereby, validated. So, I extend the invitation to "Life Lines", with the sincerest hope you'll share a sense of camaraderie, be entertained,and best of all, be inspired because...everybody has a story! <3

Monday, April 26, 2010

Stormy Weather

It's early morning, pouring rain was my wake up call granting the alarm clock a day off. I only even had the alarm set for an early shift driving the shuttle at work. The rain came down so hard and so fast I was sure there was hail, as sure as I cared to be in my state of semi-consciousness. Aware enough to process the thought that I'd like to stay with my bed and let the rain lull me back to the non-reality of crazy mixed up stories my sleep controlled mindlessness conjures up. But no, the day had been committed to a schedule I was obligated to fulfill, I was expected, and I would do the right thing, against all my wishes.
This early hour on a non rainy day would by now be bright and welcoming. From my spot on the shuttle I would be hearing the squawk of parrots, seeing blackbirds and doves flitting about gathering breakfast, frolicking in springtime courtships. Today the clouds are so thick that light is barely breaking, it's dark gray as far as I can see in any direction. The usual sway of the palm trees today is more like spasms in reaction to being pricked with pins while standing at attention as a sergeant scolds under inspection. The flowers that on any other day unfold and reach toward the beckoning sun are curled up and tucked in, an effort to armor against the brute pelting. Nature looks sad, beat up, like life has handed it an injurious blow.
But sunshine is forecast for tomorrow. The rain doesn't stay, not for long, a reprieve will come. Tomorrow the palm fronds will again reach across the aisle to each other and dance, the flowers will yawn and stretch and wave at the doves and blackbirds finding fresh breakfast choices on the menu. All of nature will be vibrant and alive, completely oblivious that the previous days lashing was actually good for them, they are nourished, their fortitude and resolve strengthened. Having weathered the storm they are less likely to break under the pressure of the next one, there will be a next one, there always is. How sweet the sun after the rain. How sweet the rain that while given little positive regard is the means by which nature and indeed all of life is sustained. It's not the day of my choosing, I would choose sunshine every day. In the end though it is the storms that cause me to so appreciate the sun. The flowers irritated by the pesky birds just the day before because they infringed on their territory, are now happy to co-habitate, and the birds are kinder, complimenting the flowers superior beauty instead of being jealous of it. Harmony returns. Not one dominates, each have a place, each place is vital to growth and continuance. The sun is there, it's always there. The clouds have their way today but are limited, the storms restricted, granted only temporary domain. Storms are no match for sunshine!

No comments:

Post a Comment

January in Virginia

January in Virginia